About the Tattoo
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a world-class event, rooted in Scottish tradition, offering audiences an experience like no other. Performed to a live audience of 220,000 each year on the iconic esplanade of Edinburgh Castle, the Tattoo showcases creativity through music, precision performances and dance from military and cultural acts from around the globe.
The success of the Tattoo relies on the connection of performers, staff, and audiences and this enables us to contribute to Services and Arts charities each year. We’re looking for enthusiastic, passionate, and personable people to work with us and join our world-class team.
Job Purpose Summary
Support the Marketing and Communications team in the delivery of the of the 2022 Tattoo campaign plan.
The Tattoo is a globally renowned entertainment event. We receive overwhelmingly positive feedback from customers and in the media, and we are proud to manage all of our brand touchpoints to a high standard. This role is to provide essential support to a small team, in an exciting and fast paced environment.
This is a temporary position from early-July to late-August. The normal working week is 35 hours between 0900-1700 Monday to Friday. However, in the immediate lead up to and during the event period the successful candidate may be required to work additional (paid) hours including evenings and weekends.
Our small team work on a huge range of communications across PR, digital, advertising, social, event collateral etc. You will:
- Support the development of these communications as appropriate
- Ensure all administration of approvals is completed
- Support with reviewing content – for example copy checking the souvenir programme
- Writing communications such as FAQs and supporting with social posts
The Tattoo is well attended by journalists and photographers who are keen to capture the buzz of the show. They help us get our message out to a huge market, and you will play a pivotal role in ensuring they are well served with the content and access they need. You will support the team by:
- Administrating the press accreditation process.
- Preparing and issuing press packs.
- Ensuring that the Media Liaison Officer is aware of who will be on site each night.
- Looking for coverage received and logging this.
- Creation of a report which evidences the success of the press visitor programme.
The team manage a vast amount of content throughout the course of the Show, you will support by:
- Saving down all photography and labelling clearly, sharing as appropriate with acts and stakeholders.
- Monitoring press coverage and capturing this.
- Issuing photography to Salute Takers each day.
The Marketing Team receive many requests for support throughout the Show run. These requests are wide ranging and require a flexible and considered approach. For example, journalists wishing to understand more about the show, acts looking for content to promote their engagement, and customers seeking help with a problem. You will:
- Manage the team mailbox, being the first point of contact for these requests.
- Regularly review our social media pages and mailboxes for questions.
- Reply using agreed answers or drafting new answers to add to our FAQ bank.
- Understand when to escalate any potential issues and take the lead on problem solving.
- Log any complaints for our business to learn from these.
Skills – Essential
- Microsoft Office
- Good level of written and verbal communication
- Good understanding and regular user of social media
- Good attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- The ability to work to instruction but also use own initiative
Skills - Desirable
- Quick and eager learner
- Report writing and evaluation
Qualifications/ Training – Essential
Education in a marketing/communications background
Qualifications/ Training – Desirable
An interest in working at a large-scale event