Head of Finance
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a well recognised entertainment group, comprising a charitable company (the parent) and three solely owned subsidiaries, including the operating companies responsible for producing the spectacular annual Tattoo in Edinburgh.
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo sets out to deliver world-class entertainment that will enrich people’s lives through creativity, connection, and contribution.
The annual public military event, set against the dramatic backdrop of Edinburgh Castle, is rooted in Scottish tradition and it exceeds the expectations of its audience and partners year on year. In doing so, the Tattoo contributes greatly to its charitable purposes and the connection of people and culture.
The Tattoo enjoys an enviable reputation for quality and spectacle, performing to a live audience of 220,000 people from around the globe each August. With core employees of 35, a turnover of £17M, and bringing over £77M in ‘additionality’ to the economy, the charity and its associated production companies seek increasing agility in a complex and competitive, global tourism and entertainment market.
Despite the cancellation of the live shows in both 2020 and 2021 due to the ongoing impact and uncertainties of Covid-19, and its associated challenges, The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo has continued its commitment to its audiences, staff, stakeholders and charity partners through ongoing activity. Plans are well underway to make the Tattoo’s live show return to the Edinburgh Castle Esplanade even more unforgettable than ever before.
Main responsibilities of this role will be:
- Develop and support implementation of the financial strategy, the annual multi-year Business Plan and associated business processes
- Monthly reporting against budgets and key performance indicators
- Review outcomes and metrics for evaluating the company’s impact and regularly measure performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Develop and manage REMT’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Oversight and control of all cost control and measures for improving effectiveness (output) and efficiency (input)
- Ensuring the accurate production of Statutory Accounts including Corporation Tax computations for all companies.
- Managing the VAT functions and quarterly VAT reporting
- Managing the payroll and pensions schemes
- Support the management of properties including developing proposals on their future use
- Control of all procurement practice, seeking legal advice and executing contracts as necessary
- Setting the investment strategy for the organisation and individual companies
- Control of the company’s insurance policies, ensuring that appropriate cover is in place at competitive prices
- Managing the Finance team, Treasury resource from City of Edinburgh Council and external suppliers as required
Responsibilities may also include management of IT and data. Experience in these areas would be advantageous but not a requirement.
Senior Management Team
- Provide leadership and demonstrate company values in everyday practice.
- Assist in the setting and delivery of strategic and operational objectives
- Ensure Board and committee actions are carried out
- Represent the CE/COO when necessary and act as an ambassador for the organisation
- Ensure REMT’s commitment to economic, environmental and social sustainment
- Liaison with the Board of Trustees/Directors, the FRA Committee, and other committees as requested
- Overall management of budgets within your area of responsibility
- Serve on internal committees or task forces and take on special assignments.
ESSENTIAL - SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Strategic planning experience including bespoke financial modelling to support new products/services
- Strong value-set and mature sense of vision and innovative spirit
- Strong diplomatic skills and natural affinity for cultivating relationships and building consensus among diverse individuals and stakeholder groups
- Experience in overall control of the finance function including, tax compliance and ensuring regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met in respect a limited Company and a Scottish Charity
- Skills and character necessary to liaise with the appointed Auditor, Tax Advisers, Treasury Managers and the Bank
- Ability and aptitude to perform effectively across the various responsibilities of the roles
The successful candidate must hold a professional accountancy qualification and be a member of a relevant professional organisation.