Front of House (Usher)
This is a temporary position from 6-29 August 2020. Your normal working week is one of 25 hours although you may be required to work hours in excess of this. These hours are arranged between 1830-2300 hours daily Monday to Friday and 1730-0030 on Saturday. You will be on duty every performance night.
Training on 28 July and 5 August 2020
Job Purpose Summary
Acting as the welcoming ‘face’ of The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, Ushers provide customer care services for all customers attending the Tattoo on the Esplanade of Edinburgh Castle; ensuring that tickets are checked and that the audience are able to find their way to their seats and locate facilities on site; and assisting members of the Public in the event of an emergency.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Carry out pre-event safety checks in designated area, ensuring that all safety equipment is in place and there are no hazards.
• Understand responsibilities for the health & safety of all categories of audience (including those with special needs and children), other staff and themselves.
• Be familiar with the layout of the site and assist the audience by giving information about the available facilities including first aid, toilets, water, welfare and facilities for people with special needs.
• Oversee entrances, exits and other strategic points which are not continuously secured in the open position while the event is in progress.
• Control or direct the audience who are entering or leaving the event, to help achieve an even flow of people into and from various parts of the venue.
• Recognise crowd conditions to ensure the safe dispersal of audience and the prevention of overcrowding.
• Assist in the safe operation of the event by keeping gangways and exits clear at all times and preventing standing on seats and furniture.
• Investigate any disturbances or incidents, reporting to supervisors any issues.
• Ensure combustible refuse does not accumulate.
• Be familiar with arrangements for evacuating the audience, including coded messages and undertaking specific duties in an emergency.
• Respond to emergencies (such as early stages of a fire), raising the alarm and taking the necessary immediate action.
• Communicate with Event Control in the event of an emergency.
• Be polite, welcoming, and friendly and ready to offer assistance to the audience at all times.
• Present a positive impression of the company and uphold our values in all activity.
• Look after all documentation and equipment issued to you for the purpose of carrying out your duties.
Skills – Essential
• Excellent communication skills
• Written and verbal literacy
• Approachable and helpful
• A positive attitude
Skills - Desirable
• Experience in theatre or other entertainment venues
• Experience in a customer care environment or Public facing role
• Foreign language skills
• First Aid
Qualifications/ Training – Essential
• Over 18 years of age in order to comply with licence requirements
Qualifications/ Training – Desirable
• Security Industry Authority licence holder