About the role
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is an icon in the British events calendar, set against the dramatic backdrop of Edinburgh Castle, from the entertainment company renowned for staging magnificent large-scale events in Scotland and abroad.
The Tattoo enjoys an enviable reputation for quality and spectacle. With core employees of 35, a turnover of £14.5M, and bringing over £77M in ‘additionality’ to the economy, the charity and its associated production companies seek increasing agility in a complex and competitive, global tourism and entertainment market.
The incumbent Chief Executive & Producer will step down at the end of 2020. The new Chief Executive will be responsible for the delivery of The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo’s strategic plan ‘A Strategy for Growth’ which through the Edinburgh event, Overseas Tattoos and new commercial ventures will look to diversify revenues and double turnover by 2025.
Given the prestige of this role the ideal candidate will be an individual of stature with gravitas and the ability to build relationships and work with stakeholders at the highest levels in the UK and internationally. The candidate will have an appreciation of the military but not necessarily first-hand experience of the Armed Services.
The ideal candidate will display the following
- Experience of running an events or leisure business would be a considerable advantage and an understanding of, and personal interest in, the festival/cultural/tourism/music industry is desired.
- Relevant commercial skills and financial acumen as well as a demonstrable passion for pageantry and public productions and the creative vision to produce a world class event.
- Strong leadership and management experience, gained ideally at CEO or equivalent level, backed by the ability to promote strong cultural values.
- Strategic thinking skills, including the ability to identify and plan to deal with key issues and industry dynamics that will affect the future development of The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
- Detailed knowledge of the structure and decision-making processes in government, and how their processes can be influenced; political awareness and the ability to understand governments’ agendas and to link them to The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo’s objectives.
- Commercial awareness, entrepreneurial flair and the ability to spot opportunities for growth.